Rutgers WPF and its global mission
Sexuality and relationships are important aspects of everyone’s life. Good sexual and reproductive health positively affects people’s well-being. Clear and reliable information on sexuality is vital in helping people to make informed choices.
Rutgers WPF is a renowned expert centre on sexual and reproductive health and rights. Its activities are carried out mainly in Asia, Africa and the Netherlands. Its aim is to improve sexual and reproductive health throughout the world, focusing its work on young people, women and disadvantaged groups like the disabled, young offenders and ethnic minorities. Rutgers WPF supports partner organisations in their work, increasing their expertise in sexuality, and increasing their capacity to make a sustainable impact.
Rutgers WPF was created by a merger of the World Population Foundation (WPF) and the Rutgers Nisso Groep on 1st January 2011. It is a member of IPPF, the International Planned Parenthood Federation.
• is not afraid to talk about sexuality including issues that some consider to be “sensitive”
• possesses the required know-how based on thorough research
• is sensitive to cultural disparities and the different abilities that people have
• involves potential beneficiaries in developing products and services
• aims to remove the taboos surrounding sexual and reproductive health
• is a committed expert who contributes knowledge, resources and confidence in order to openly discuss sexuality throughout the world
• implements it’s programmes with carefully selected partners
Rutgers WPF in Vietnam
WPF, the forerunner of Rutgers WPF in Vietnam, has been promoting sexual and reproductive health and rights in the country since 1995, and has had an office in Hanoi since 2000. During this time, WPF has worked with both Government and Non-Government partners using creative approaches to connect with young people. These have included:
• reaching urban and rural youth through interactive theatre
• empowering hearing impaired youth and young offenders through sexuality education and counseling
• developing sexuality and life skills curricula for University of Education students and school students
• preventing HIV and addressing stigma through dance and music
• working with young men to prevent Gender Based Violence
Although the context is changing, this long experience sets a firm foundation for the future work of Rutgers WPF in Vietnam.
The core of the work of Rutgers WPF Vietnam will focus on promoting the sexual and reproductive rights of young people. More specifically:
Rutgers WPF Vietnam will develop capacity…
… of both Vietnamese civil society, and the Government of Vietnam, in pursuit of its overall objective of promoting sexual and reproductive rights. Sometimes this will involve direct training or coaching of staff. Sometimes it will involve collaborative working. The objective is to help create a strong sexual and reproductive sector that is both highly knowledgeable, and with an ability to effect change.
Rutgers WPF Vietnam will advocate…
…on issues concerning youth sexuality, and other topics considered to be “sensitive”. Rutgers WPF Vietnam will seek opportunities for highlighting critical issues of youth sexuality and reproductive health generally, using both mass media and creative media that connects with young people and other target audiences. The objective is to encourage discussion and debate in the public domain, raise awareness of the general public and influence policy makers.
Rutgers WPF Vietnam will promote youth leadership…
…since young people are not only the future, but also very much the present in Vietnam. Rutgers WPF Vietnam believes in the ability and commitment of young people and will therefore promote both youth participation and youth leadership. This approach will entail training of young people and collaborating with youth led organisations.
Rutgers WPF Vietnam will support…
…youth with its highly appreciated comprehensive sexuality educational materials. More will be developed in the future, and all will be made available to those for whom they are intended on a “not-for-profit” basis.
Rutgers WPF Vietnam will research…
…because it works on the basis of clear evidence. Therefore, Rutgers WPF Vietnam will encourage and support research that helps to define the realities of sexual and reproductive health for youth in the country.
Rutgers WPF Vietnam will offer consultancy…
…in addition to implementing its own programmes, in areas of (for example):
• comprehensive sexuality education: design, materials, training, M&E
• project design and proposal writing
• project evaluation
• youth participation
Rutgers WPF Vietnam will focus its programmes on:
• students in mainstream schools and universities
• youth with disabilities
• ethnic minority youth
• children in difficult circumstances such as young offenders
• young people living and working on industrial estates
Rutgers WPF Vietnam
Van Phuc Diplomatic Compound
Building B5, Suite 401-402, Hanoi, Vietnam
Tel: (84-4) 3846 4584
Fax: (84-4) 3846 4583